Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Thou art the Christ"

In the sixteenth chapter of the Book of Matthew is recorded a remarkable exchange between our savior, Jesus Christ, and His apostles.  He asks them, "Whom do men say that I the son of man am?".  The apostles give various answers reflecting rumors of the time, "some say thou art John the baptist: some, Elias (Elijah); and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets".  Through their own reasoning, men at the time of Christ came up with many theories about who Christ could be and how He had so much power to heal and perform the miracles He did.  These ideas were an attempt to explain, through man's intelligence how one man could have such power.

Christ then asked His disciples, "But whom say ye that I am?".  The apostle Peter then answered with the most pure testimony of Jesus anybody could give: "Thou art the Christ, the son of the living God".  Peter knew his master and his master's role.  Christ is the son of God.  He is the savior of the world.  He is the long-awaited Messiah.  He is the Christ. 

Along with Peter, I know that Jesus is the Christ.  And that knowledge is available to all.  Christ tells Peter how he (Peter) gained that knowledge: "for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven".  That is how we all can know of Christ's divine role, through a personal witness from God.  In the world today, a lot of people believe different things about Jesus Christ.  A lot of really smart people have different ideas ranging from both positive and negative extremes.  But the way to know for ourselves is the way Peter knew almost 2,000 years ago, we must learn from God.

I know that Jesus is the Christ.  I know He is my savior and redeemer, my advocate with the Father.  I know this through the feeling in my heart through the Holy Ghost.

 "And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things"(Moroni 10:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment